How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 32086
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Hello, I have been divorced 10 months and the financial agreement

Customer Question

Hello, I have been divorced 10 months and the financial agreement was for my ex husband to remove my name from a joint secured loan on the property that he lives in. He wrote a letter to the company, who then sent forms for us both to sign and fill out. I sent my form back, but he has refused to send his form back, even though I offered to pay the £125 cost for the removal of my name. He told me that if he died before the loan was paid then I would be liable which is why I want to have my name removed as per the divorce settlement. I can't afford to go back to my solicitor as I am on a low paid job, please could you advise me what I can do so that this is resolved and my name is XXXXX XXXXX the secured loan. Thank you.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  James Mather replied 4 years ago.

Hello, I am Law Denning and I am a practising solicitor in a High
Street practice. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008.
During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousand's of questions from satisfied users on a variety of subjects.
Because we are all in practice with clients and court and other users, I might not always respond in
minutes, particularly evenings and weekends. Please bear with me in that case.

It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today. Please bear with me while I gather some further information from you in order for me to be able to advise you fully.

Was this part of your ancillary relief proceedings?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I think that it what it was called. I didn't have anything from the divorce ie. lump sum of money or property, just the removal of my name on the loan

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question
When you were divorced was there a written agreement between you sealed by the court dealing with the transfer of this loan?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I was divorced 21 September 2012, yes there was a written agreement sealed by the court

Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
That is good news as Orders can be enforced
What is the exact wording involved?