How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Vincent2013 Your Own Question
Vincent2013, JustAnswer Expert
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 213
Experience:  Qualified solicitor and barrister (non-practising) with 7+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Vincent2013 is online now

I came into this country on visitors visa (multiple entry

Customer Question

I came into this country on visitor's visa (multiple entry )-6 months. I have been an over -stayer since then cos i applied for extension and it was not granted, I have been here for over ten years as ta today,i am a vet (no longer relevant).What are my chances of getting my status regularised.The house i was living in 2007 was raided by police,it was discovered that i had overstayed,my fingerprints were taken and i was released to go home the following day but that i should be coming to sign at the station weekly which i did not do.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Vincent2013 replied 4 years ago.

Hi, thanks for your question. My name's XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you with it.


Unfortunately, any application to the UK Border Agency for further leave made by an applicant who has overstayed by more than 28 days will be automatically refused.


If you want to regularise your status and you have strong family ties here in the UK, you could consider applying for discretionary leave to remain. This is outside the immigration rules but in making such application, you will need to provide evidence of family or private life issues that would convince the Home Office to exercise their discretion in your favour. The application can be complex and I would recommend that you consult a solicitor before making it. The kind of family ties that are relevant are a wife, child, parent or long term partner who is entitled to or have obtained settlement in the UK.


Please don't hesitate to let me know if I can be of any further assistance or if you have any further questions.