How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Nicola-mod Your Own Question
Nicola-mod, Moderator
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 21
Experience:  Moderator
Type Your Law Question Here...
Nicola-mod is online now

i had a vehicle accident on friday night at 12pm , i left the

Customer Question

i had a vehicle accident on friday night at 12pm , i left the scene as there were no injuries and my car wasnt going anywhere.
I reported the accident first thing in the morning. My car had been lifted and I couldnt track it through the normal channels. I finally managed to find it has been lifted by police and mentioned decamp , which I dont understand. What should I do next
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Alice H replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer.

My name is Alex and I'm happy to help with your question today.

How did this accident occur? What damage was caused?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I hit the back of a parked vehicle , with my car badly damaged with air bags coming out. the other vehicle had a bent bumper

Expert:  Alice H replied 4 years ago.
OK. Why did you leave the scene of the accident?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I had a very drunk passenger that took off down the road , It was raining very heavily and I wanted to get him home

Expert:  Alice H replied 4 years ago.
OK understood. Just to confirm: did you report the incident to the police AND your insurance company the following morning?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes i did via phone and going to staion now to complete a self reportform

I have never had an accident in the Uk , i had never had an accident in the Uk and was unsure what to do. I went back at 5am but the car was already gone

Expert:  Alice H replied 4 years ago.

Leaving the scene of an accident, where damage was caused, is actually a criminal offence. However, you would have a defence to this if you reported the accident to the police within 24 hours. A telephone call to the police is sufficient to start with but you must then attend the police station with all your details e.g. licence, insurance. This all has to be done within 24 hours. You should also, of course, report the accident to your insurance company otherwise they may refuse to indemnify you.

The police have probably removed the car because it was causing an obstruction or it was in a dangerous position or for evidence. Normally the vehicle will be taken to a pound. When you attend the police station they should be able to give you the details of the location so you and your insurance company can arrange collection of it. I'm afraid if they haven't given you the details immediately you'll have to persevere and keep trying.


Customer: replied 4 years ago.

what sort of fine /penalty will i recieve , I have no idea

Expert:  Alice H replied 4 years ago.
If you're prosecuted for failing to stop/report an accident and your found guilty of that offence, you could be looking at 5 - 6 points if its minor damage or up to 8 points if moderate damage was caused. The Court also has power to disqualify where there is evidence of bad driving. In addition to the points the Court would also imposed a fine, based on your disposable income.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 4 years ago.

Just a quick reminder, there is an unrated answer waiting for you here from the Professional.

If the Expert was helpful, rating their answer as satisfactory transfers your deposit to them – this is how the Expert is compensated.

To rate your answer, you can go to your question page, and click one of the five faces below your Expert's answer. Please be sure you are logged in with your username and password or you will not be able to view or rate your answer.

If you still need help with your question, please feel free to reply to the Expert on this question page. You may ask as many follow-up questions on the same question page as you need until you are satisfied.

Thank you,