How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alice H Your Own Question
Alice H
Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2850
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
Type Your Law Question Here...
Alice H is online now

My daughter accepted a police caution for shop lifting four

Customer Question

My daughter accepted a police caution for shop lifting four years ago. She was told by the police officer that if she accept the caution, it would only stay on her record for three years.
My daughter wants to study medicine. Can you please tell me if the caution will show up on the enhanced CRB and if it's possible to get the caution removed, to prevent it from showing on the CRB
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Alice H replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer.

My name is Alex and I'm happy to help with your question today.

The caution is not removed from the police database I'm afraid. It simply becomes 'spent', which is probably what the police officer meant. A 'spent' caution or conviction is one that does not have to be declared.

The caution is likely to appear on an enhanced check even though 4 years have passed.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Can a caution be removed from CRB check

Expert:  Alice H replied 4 years ago.
The police upload the information to the Disclosure and Barring Service (formerly CRB).

The information can only be removed if it is incorrect.

Your daughter can certainly raise a complaint via DBS if it appears on the disclosure certificate.

But usually the entry is removed only in exceptional circumstances e.g. the information is incorrect/flawed.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

What is DBS?

Expert:  Alice H replied 4 years ago.
Disclosure and Barring Service