How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Nicola-mod Your Own Question
Nicola-mod, Moderator
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 21
Experience:  Moderator
Type Your Law Question Here...
Nicola-mod is online now

HelloI am the main driver of a leased vehicle which my

Customer Question


I am the main driver of a leased vehicle which my father is the leasee.

The vehicle is used for my cleaning business which I operate in London UK.

Prior to owning this vehicle I owned a white van.

The white van was registered for TFL Congestion Charging Auto pay.

When I sold the van and started driving the new leased vehicle I forgot to switch the congestion charging auto pay account to the new registration plate so I entered the congestion charging zone 4 times during this period of around 3 weeks and have been charged the full £65 per time instead of the reduced £9 for auto pay.

THe lease company automatically paid the charges. i appealed the penalty charge notices from TFL but they declined the appeal. I can send a copy of the appeal letter and the response from TFL if required.

I need a strongly worded letter with legal speak to send to the parking and traffic appeals service to try and get the councils decision overturned and the money returned to me.

The main argument is that I had the auto pay account but made a human error in not switching it over due to being very busy with work and other commitments. You can see from my congestion charging account history that I have been using auto pay and have paid hundreds of ounds to tfl for congestion charging over the last 18 motnhs that my business has been operating. TFL know this but because the lease company automatically paid it they were never going to allow the appeal.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your question . My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

What is your question about this please?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.


Im not sure what you mean?

I need a strongly worded legal letter appealing Transport for London's decision to deny my appeal as per my questions? Have you read the question?

Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.
This is a question and answer site.

I can give you general information upon your situation but I cannot write to anybody on your behalf I'm afraid.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Can you write the letter for me?

Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.
I'm not allowed to draft for you on specific cases. This is a site for general information.

I could possibly look over a letter you have written for you although you might want to consider a conciliatory letter since you have no right to demand that they offer a refund and a stringy worded letter is just likely to entrench them in their position.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have been advised by a civil servant to write such a letter.


Do you know any online services that could write such a letter or is it something they just don't do?

Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.
Not that I know of but this isn't the real issue anyway. You can always write to them yourself or get a solicitor to do it.

The issue is that a letter is pointless. Whoever told you to do that was being extremely optimistic. An appeal has fine against you. They will just ignore any letters.

You can further appeal but you need to seek leave within 14 days of the decision and you need to show error in fact or in law.

Thereafter you can judicially review the decision but thats very expensive.

Letters will be ignored. You need to use the appeals structure of you want to contest this.

I am sorry.

Let me know if you want to know anything else.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.



Ill write the letter myself. Can you refund the deposit i paid for this? I thought it was different kind of service.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.
Yes, I will ask.

But remember to use the appeals process.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Looks like I have been charged the £33. Will this be refunded?

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 4 years ago.

I will process the refund for you now and you should receive email confirmation that this has been done.

I do hope you will give JustAnswer a try again in the future,