How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71158
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I need advice on building a case to take to a small claims

This answer was rated:

I need advice on building a case to take to a small claims court. A tenant, who is about to move out has caused me a lot of problems. we have a contract but she hasn't abided by it.
She has prevented access for work and inspection, repeatedly and threated to sue me for harassment if I go near the property. given only 12 days notice and stopped payment.
I don't know yet if there any damages to the property.
My thoughts are that I can claim some or all of the deposit back for the current month and sue for the four weeks notice. I have done everything correctly as far as I can see and advised her of my rights as a landlord. Is there more I can do? and how should I prepare.

Thank you for your question . My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

In order to give you an answer tailored to your circumstances, I will just need to ask you some preliminary questions so that I can consider your position from all angles.

What type of contract do you have?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Tenancy Agreement - England & Wales (for unfurnished house or flat on an assured short hold tenancy F302E


How far into arrears is she?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.



She stopped payment for this month and gave me notice for 12 days, she is moving out 12/08/2013. The letter she sent was undated but the postmark was 30/07/2013. So she owes me this months rent. I would want to sue for next months rent as well to include the four weeks notice.


There's not really anything else you need to do. You didn't really need to advise her of anything.

Come what may she has failed to pay or give you adequate notice. You can deduct from deposit and sue for the remainder here

You will win.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you