How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10731
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

Second home in husbands sole name.We want joint ownership for

This answer was rated:

Second home in husbands sole name.We want joint ownership for capital gains tax reason.Is it better to do a transfer of equity or to enter a beneficial trust deed.We are in our 70's


Hi there,


Thanks for your enquiry.


You can do either of your suggestions.


If you were to transfer the legal title into joint names, your Solicitor's charges are likely to be more (approx. £200 plus VAT plus Land Registry fee of approx. £50-£70 depending on the value of the property) than preparing a simple Declaration of Trust (likely cost £100 plus VAT).


The only advantage of transferring the property into joint names is that it means less paperwork as and when one of you dies, but I am guessing that you are considering selling the second property during your lifetimes as you are enquiring as to Capital Gains Tax.


I hope this answers your question, and if so, I would be grateful if you could leave positive feedback.


Kind Regards


Aston Lawyer and other Law Specialists are ready to help you