How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34909
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I wonder if you can help please? I divorced my husband 2 years

Customer Question

I wonder if you can help please? I divorced my husband 2 years ago for adultery. I then had to take him to court for a settlement which was agreed last year and we have a consent order.
The problem I have is his attitude towards me: every time we communicate (this has to be done via email as it all became too acrimonious) he is verbally abusive back to me. I only communicate with him when absolutely necessary and I keep it brief and to the point. His responses, however, are very different and are long-winded essays in which he vents his anger - he continually accuses me of using the children against him, vents his anger about what he has to pay for myself and our two children, makes defamatory remarks against me, etc. I am at the end of my tether and feel I can no longer cope with this. Is there anything I can do to get him to stop? In the past he has ignored requests from my solicitor. He does not threaten me, but his remarks and accusations are extremely upsetting.

Many thanks
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  James Mather replied 4 years ago.

Law Denning :

Hello, I am Law Denning and I am a practising solicitor. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008. During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions from satisfied users on a variety of subjects.
Because we are all in practice with clients and court and other users, I might not always respond in minutes, particularly evenings and weekends. Please bear with me in that case. I will be online and off-line all day today.

It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today. Please bear with me while I gather some further information from you in order for me to be able to advise you fully.Do you have a specific question?

JACUSTOMER-wbjb7g0z- :

I really would like to know if I can take legal action to get my ex to stop his abusive and upsetting comments and accusations.

Expert:  James Mather replied 4 years ago.
Thank you.
This is relatively easy to resolve.
The first solution is easy. Complain to the police that he is harassing you show them the comments that he has made. They can warn him under the Protection from Harassment act and he carries on, he can be prosecuted. It is also free to report the matter to the police. Even if he does not get prosecuted, they will give him a little talking to.

Be aware that if you are emailing him demanding money or a settlement or whatever, that can also be harassment. It depends why you are emailing him. Even if you are constantly emailing saying “where is my money” that can be harassment even if you say no more than that

You can apply to court for a non-molestation order which would basically stop all contact between you and other than between solicitors.
Does that answer the question? Can I help further? Can I answer any specific points?
If you have not done already, please don't forget to positively rate my answer service even if it was not what you wanted to hear. You should now see a series of buttons which enable you to rate my answer service formally.

If you don't rate it positively, then the site keep your deposit and I get 0 for my time. It is imperative that you give my answer a positive rating.
It doesn’t give me, “a pat on the head”, “good boy” (like ebay), it is my livelihood!
If in ratings you feel that you expected more or it only helped a little, please ask.
The thread does remain open for me to answer follow-up questions after rating my answer service.
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
I assume that you have to have contact because of the children.
That being the case hen I am afraid that there is nothing that can be done to stop it - other than to make it clear than any obnoxious contacts will simply be ignored and if he wishes you to co-operate then you will only respond to polite contact
I appreciate that this is not satisfactory but whilst the children are under 16 there is little option