How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Nicola-mod Your Own Question
Nicola-mod, Moderator
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 21
Experience:  Moderator
Type Your Law Question Here...
Nicola-mod is online now

hi i have received 40,000 inheritance from my belated dad recently,!

Customer Question

hi i have received 40,000 inheritance from my belated dad recently,! i have forwarded proof of this sales document to benefits department of my local council! i m in housing association accomadation , and wanting to exchange with another tenant for the same size house, but in a different area.! is there any reason why the housing association can decline this disicion based on this information? please also answer i m hoping to give my son 10,000 in to his own account this week so he can access when he is 18 years old. for his education future! i would like to pay my mums one off debt which is 22,000 pounds directly to pay her debter by cheque for my own proof., or alternatively pay her directly in to her account. my mum has agreed to show council bank statement for proof that its genuine on my behalf!and receipt from the company its paid too. i would then have £8,000 left from my inheritance .which means from what iv researched that i would still qualify with my rent and c/tax which i previously claim as im a low self employed earner. and then when i stop working in dec 2014 because my baby is due in jan 2014. i think i will be able to apply for income support? iv seen nothink to say i can not help my son out and pay off my mums debt being as i can proof where the money has gone. but wanted to make sure of this before commiting too. as the council have said they can decline my claim for benefit help because i have given it away, or spending it purposely to get help? but they havent said i cant pay off my mums debt which is not giving it away. the main reason im wanting to pay mums debt off is to help her out in this life time! she has agreed once this is definate she will add this in her WILL by a solicitor to state i can have the money back when her house is sold, after she has passed away. so its like lending it rather than giving it away! . please confirm where i stand legally with income support and benefits , when i stop working and have transfered the money to my mum and son , many thanks rebecca still a single parent and no one else is living here or will be in the near future.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question
I shall do my best to help you.
I am afraid what you propose is the equivalent of giving it away and will certainly affect your claim for benefits - but should not affect the exchange.
I am sorry to give you bad news - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok thanks for answer . so if i lend or give it away now and give up work in dec this year to have my baby. how will it effect income support benefits? as iv been told they dont ask for any back dated bank statements so as far as they would know i would only have 6,000 in my name as the rest wouldnt be mine any more. also is there a limit to how long the council can decline my applications for help for rent and c/tax . e.g can they give you a time limit to how long they think the original amount 40,000 should last such as 1 year ,5 years etc.. before you can reapply for a new applications in the future ? many thanks

Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
It is unlikely to affect your new claim for Income Support when it is made - and if you moved to another area it is unlikely to affect a fresh Housing Benefit claim
How long before your existing Authority will consider a claim is less clear - but 12 months is likely to be a minimum
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thank u !, as im self employed and working 16 hours per week still, atm un till dec 2013, for some reason i havent been issued a bill for national insurance ??, but previous years had been issued and payed my national insurance. but i was earning a lot more than!. i have not earned enought to pay tax over the last 3 years. iv spoken to my new accountant \he is not sure why this is ? iv explained my old accountant said it was because my earnings had dropped below a certain requirement or i had over paid previously. would you confirm what the exact reasons this could be pls?

secondly am i entitled to statutory maternity pay or allowance at all? as my accountant is taking a long time to get back to me regarding theses two quires.

Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Have you registered the fact that you are self employed with the HMRC?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes iv been self employed registered with HMRC for 5 years now.

Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
You should have still been paying the National Insurance Payments - however you should contact them as a matter of urgency to bring the payments up to date
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 4 years ago.

Just a quick reminder, there is an unrated answer waiting for you here from the Professional.

If the Expert was helpful, rating their answer as satisfactory transfers your deposit to them – this is how the Expert is compensated.

To rate your answer, you can go to your question page, and click one of the five faces below your Expert's answer. Please be sure you are logged in with your username and password or you will not be able to view or rate your answer.

If you still need help with your question, please feel free to reply to the Expert on this question page. You may ask as many follow-up questions on the same question page as you need until you are satisfied.

Thank you,