How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Max Lowry Your Own Question
Max Lowry
Max Lowry, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1457
Experience:  LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Max Lowry is online now

i left my house about a month ago, i had my deposit old by

Customer Question

i left my house about a month ago, i had my deposit old by the dps company, i have been contacting the agency and they always tell me that they are waiting for the landlord to get bac to them, i have a feeling that i will loose my deposit of 1200 pound.
i have started the claim with dps my self and the other part then refuse but still waiting and i dont now what for.
what can i do?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Max Lowry replied 4 years ago.
Hi, welcome to Just Answer. I will help you with your question.

What would you like to know, what happens when the request for the deposit to be returned is rejected?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes, i would like to know if there is a time limit, or what i should do to get my deposit back, i dont think they can just waste time like that with your money..


Expert:  Max Lowry replied 4 years ago.
Have you raised a dispute with the deposit protection scheme yet?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no, when i left the house the agency told me they would have contacted the dps and sort the deposit out, it never happened, after more then a week waiting i contacted the dps my self and request the deposit, since then nothing as happened like is all pending, i have called the agency then email them and they said they waiting for the landlord decision

Expert:  Max Lowry replied 4 years ago.
You will need to challenge the landlords refusal to allow you the deposit back within 3 months of leaving the tenancy. They will then refer the matter to adjudication and decide whether the deposit should be released to you.

So long as you submit your claim within this time, you should be okay.

If you wish, you could decide to issue court proceedings instead, although going through the adjudicator system is usually the best way.

The adjudicator will hear from both sides as to why the deposit should be released or withheld. A decision will then be made. The process is usually very quick.

Hope this helps?