How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

Had a parking ticket on private land, i had a permit to park

Customer Question

Had a parking ticket on private land, i had a permit to park that just say to "display in car".
The ticket had blown on to the seat, still right way up.
The company that issued the ticket are approved by the british carpark assionation (bca) but have no telaphone number or e-mail only a po box
The bca website yes they can't issue ticket and the ticket says no appeal without full paymant 1st.
What can i do??, if i pay and appeal i will never see my money again.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 4 years ago.

AlexWatts2013 : Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return.
AlexWatts2013 : Under new legislation the owner is liable for any penalty in terms of private parking, but at the end of the day this matter is a contractual matter and nothing more.
AlexWatts2013 : There is nothing in law that states you have to pay in full and then appeal. Therefore they can not make you and you would do well in writing saying you contest the charge and set out the basis on which the charge should be cancelled. In the very unlikely event they do not write it off you can invite them to issue a small claim for the amount.
AlexWatts2013 : They would need to satisfy a Judge that they indeed suffered some of loss and that is the value of any charge. If you had a ticket then there can be no loss because you paid for the ticket so any claim is likely to fail. You can only sue someone if there had been a breach of contract and a loss was suffered. They have no loss and therefore you should not be pressured into paying something you do not owe.
AlexWatts2013 : If this answers your question, please take a moment before you leave and rate my service, it only takes a second and is an important part of the process. Otherwise if you need more information or help then please click reply. Alex