How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Nicola-mod Your Own Question
Nicola-mod, Moderator
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 21
Experience:  Moderator
Type Your Law Question Here...
Nicola-mod is online now

I am a pensioner and getting housing benefit how many hours

Customer Question

I am a pensioner and getting housing benefit how many hours will I be able to work without loosing it
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Alice H replied 4 years ago.
My name is Alex Hughes and I am a Solicitor based in London. I'm happy to help with your question today.

With housing benefit you should to declare ALL WORK regardless of the number of hours involved.

The reason I say this is because the normal rule of thumb is that you can do 16 hours but when you read the small print of your application you'll see that you have to tell the council of ANY change in circumstances.

A change of circumstances, therefore, is ANY work regardless of the number of hours.

By notifying the council you protect yourself from any possible accusation of failing to notify a change (benefit fraud) even if the change does not actually affect your entitlement.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It is possible it will be 20 hrs per week on a self employed basis

Expert:  Alice H replied 4 years ago.

You MUST declare more than 16 hours work.

Working 20 hours per week may affect the amount of housing benefit you receive.

The council will do a calculation when you declare your work and wages and advise you of the change.

Its essential that you tell the council about this work even though your self employed.

Failing to tell them could result in your benefits being stopped and an investigation for benefit fraud.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 4 years ago.


Just a quick reminder, there is an unrated answer waiting for you here from the Professional.

If the Expert was helpful, rating their answer as satisfactory transfers your deposit to them – this is how the Expert is compensated.

To rate your answer, you can go to your question page, and click one of the five faces below your Expert's answer. Please be sure you are logged in with your username and password or you will not be able to view or rate your answer.

If you still need help with your question, please feel free to reply to the Expert on this question page. You may ask as many follow-up questions on the same question page as you need until you are satisfied.

Thank you,