How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Nicola-mod Your Own Question
Nicola-mod, Moderator
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 21
Experience:  Moderator
Type Your Law Question Here...
Nicola-mod is online now

Ive beome entangled in a very complicated saga with my ex

Customer Question

I've beome entangled in a very complicated saga with my ex partner. He owes me a lot of money and although there are solutions to this he has decided to make it very difficult. He has now begun to blackmail me. He has threatened to tell my family things that will hurt and upset them and potentially destroy a marriage. He has threatened to report me to tax credits and the benefits office, although I've done nothing wrong he knows that this will cause an investigation and make things difficult for me financially. I was diagnosed with cancer last Oct, he left me during this time for another woman, I have finished treatment and am now hopefully on the road to recovery but I still have a very long way to go and I don't have the strength or the money to fight him. I just need my money back (£30k) so that me and my children (not his children) don't have to worry financially. He is emailing and texting me with threats of what he's going to do several times a day. I haven't responded at all and he is now threatening that if I don't give in he will go to my mums house. I feel sick with worry and I just don't know what to do. Is there anything I can do to stop him destroying my family with his nastiness and still get my money back. Please help. Thank you
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your question . My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

What would you like to know about this?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
For jomo1972

Please advise if you have received my reply.

Thank you
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.

No, I haven't. Not in addition to this one.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

for jomo1972


Hi, it appears my follow up questions had gone to another accoumt.


Please could you tell me if I have any protection from the law against his blackmail and threats and can I stop him from coming to my house or my family's houses and causing trouble. I cannot afford a solicitor, should I or can I involve the police? thank you

Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.
Is he working and does he have assets?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

He is working. The question of assets is no he doesn't but he would argue that he does. To cut a long story very short.....3 years ago he was in danger of losing his house due to a lengthy and complicated court battle with his his ex business partner.I brought the house at market value to stop him losing it as part of that battle. He eventually lost the court case and owed his ex business partner £35k. I remortgaged my own house to lend him the money to pay the partner. I did this thinking that my money was safe as the house, "his" house was now mine and if anything went wrong I could sell it to get my money back.


Well something did go wrong, I became very ill, he left me, moved into the house and is still there, paying as and when it suits him. There is no legal agreement, I was simply too ill to be able to do anything about it at the time. I now desperately need my money back, I am unable to work at the moment and I need my name off the mortgage. I have given him two options 1) to prove to me that he can raise a mortgage to include the debt to me or 2) move out and let me sell it on the open market. His response is to blackmail and threaten me. Does the fact that whether he is working or have assets make a difference to whether someone can get away with threatening you?

Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.
How long ago did he borrow this money please? Please do not put yourself to detailed explanation. Just the rough date will be all I need to know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sept 2011
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.
In relation to the money, you can sue him here

You are still within the six year period so in time to sue.

It does exceed the small claims court arena and so costs will be an issue. You don't need to use a solicitor although it is always better to do so. Court costs will be onerous if he is going to contest the matter but that is the only way to recover.

You can claim the costs back from him although you do have to outlay them first.

In relation to his conduct, it depends what he is actually threatening to do. Its not likely to amount to a blackmail as he is not seeking any gain for any person since he is the debtor.

It might amount to harassment or possibly a malicious communication. It depends what exactly he is saying he will do and whether there are grounds for that report. You could probably report it to the police although that would do nothing about getting your money back or prevent him making the reports per se.

If the recovery of the money is what you seek, it would be much better to sue and get an order. Even if you only get payment in variations at least he is working and can maintain them.

Can I clarify anything for you?


Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 4 years ago.

Just a quick reminder, there is an unrated answer waiting for you here from the Professional.

If the Expert was helpful, rating their answer as satisfactory transfers your deposit to them – this is how the Expert is compensated.

To rate your answer, you can go to your question page, and click one of the five faces below your Expert's answer. Please be sure you are logged in with your username and password or you will not be able to view or rate your answer.

If you still need help with your question, please feel free to reply to the Expert on this question page. You may ask as many follow-up questions on the same question page as you need until you are satisfied.

Thank you,