How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Nicola-mod Your Own Question
Nicola-mod, Moderator
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 21
Experience:  Moderator
Type Your Law Question Here...
Nicola-mod is online now

Good evening. An Northern Ireland girl, ŵith UK passport,

Customer Question

Good evening.

An Northern Ireland girl, ŵith UK passport, marries an American national in US.

Are they both entitled to return to Northern Ireland (UK) as man and wife to permanently reside and work without visas, work permits etc ?.


C G Jenkins
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 4 years ago.

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return.


How long have you been out of the UK? I take it you have been living in the US?

You as a UK citizen are free to return and work in the UK, if you have been out of the UK for a considerable period of time, you may struggle to claim some benefits as you would not be able to show that you were habitually resident in the UK initially.


Your husband I likely to have to apply for a visa the form to use for this can be downloaded from the UKBA website at


You would need to show that you had a genuine and subsisting relationship, and your husband would have to show that he was able to speak English. You would also need to meet the 'financial requirement' which effectively means he needs to show he can financially support himself. He would also need to be what is known as a 'suitable person'.


Initially your husband may be granted a 33 month which could then be extended. After 5 years he could apply for 'settled' status.


If this answers your question then please take a few moments to rate my service as it is an important part of the process. If you need more information then please click reply. Alex



Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 4 years ago.

Just a quick reminder, there is an unrated answer waiting for you here from the Professional.

If the Expert was helpful, rating their answer as satisfactory transfers your deposit to them – this is how the Expert is compensated.

To rate your answer, you can go to your question page, and click one of the five faces below your Expert's answer. Please be sure you are logged in with your username and password or you will not be able to view or rate your answer.

If you still need help with your question, please feel free to reply to the Expert on this question page. You may ask as many follow-up questions on the same question page as you need until you are satisfied.

Thank you,