How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

A tenant in a property which we own died about 9 months ago. Their

Customer Question

A tenant in a property which we own died about 9 months ago.
Their furniture is still in the property and we want to sell.
Despite assurances from the estate agents that the contents will be cleared there appears to be no movement.
Can we sell the contents of our property to enable us to sell as vacant possession.
We have received no rent since the tenant died.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your question . My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

Does he have any family do you know?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

She has no direct family and the bulk of the estate has been left to numerous charities according to an unsigned will.

Apparently, according to the agents, they are awaiting probate.

Expert:  Ash replied 4 years ago.
Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return.

You need to post a notice on the front of the house that they have 28 days to claim the goods failing which you will sell them. After this period has expired and assuming no one comes forward then you can sell the goods but must keep the money in a separate account as this would belong to the estate. But ask the agent to post a notice on the door of the house and then you can do this.

Can I clarify anything for you? Alex