How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 32177
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I am likely to inherit some money from my mothers estate in

Customer Question

I am likely to inherit some money from my mother's estate in the very near future. My partner ( we are not marries) believes he has a right to half of this money. He also states that if we split he is entitled to half of the money I put down as a deposit on the house we share. Is he right?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Vincent2013 replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for your question. My name's XXXXX XXXXX I'm going to assist you with it.


First can you tell me how the property is held and whether you both are registered owners (joint tenants or tenants in common) or if you are the sole owner?


Secondly, does he contribute to the mortgage or has he paid for any substantial improvements?



Customer: replied 4 years ago.
For Vincent. The house we live in is held as several tennants. I put down £58000 as a deposit. The House was valued at 175000 when we bought it but is now valued at £165000. I pay all the bills £860 per month. He gives me £430 most months but is always late paying. We shared the cost of some plastering when we moved in. I have paid for new double glazing,
Expert:  Vincent2013 replied 4 years ago.

Hi, thanks for this.


I'm not sure what you mean by "several tenants". Can i just confirm, is he registered as an owner of the property (i.e. is he on the title deeds)? If so, did you agree how the ownership would be split when you registered it or do you just hold it as "joint tenants"?


Also, how long has he been living there and is there any agreement as to the reason he pays the £430? Is it just for bills and food or is it for mortgage payments and was there an agreement that he would become entitled to a share in the property as a result of these payment?