How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10732
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

Hello My elder sister and younger brother and myself are

Customer Question


My elder sister and younger brother and myself are three named people on the property title, in which I reside as main residence. My brother and I have agreed to buy my sister out on her request.

The property is unencumbered ; what's the best way to remove my sister from the title? do all three of us have to visit a solicitor, or can just my sister and I go as my younger is currently working in the states. Ideally we like to get this done through a solicitor.



Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 4 years ago.


Hi there,


Thanks for your enquiry.


To comply with Land Registry requirements each of you will need to provide instructions to a Solicitor as well as providing him with your id.


It would be normal for you and your brother to instruct a Solicitor to deal with the Transfer-( he will need to prepare a Land Registry Transfer document which is signed by all 3 of you).

It would also be usual for your sister to appoint her own Solicitor to act for her (as it is not possible, ethically, for the same Solicitor to act for all 3 of you).


I therefore suggest that you contact a local Solicitor with your instructions, and you will need to make arrangements for your brother to forward id to your Solicitor.

Your sister will need to do likewise.


I hope this answers your question, and if so, I would be grateful if you could leave positive feedback.


Kind Regards


Customer: replied 4 years ago.



Many thanks. Can you please clarify:


1) What you mean by supplying id ( especially for someone working in the US)


2) The typical charges you are referring to for the instruction


3) The time-scales involved in the commissioning of the two solicitors.


4)understand that the titles are all held electronically at the registry, so I assume the provision of name and address will suffice?



Many thanks



Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 4 years ago.




Each Solicitor will normally want to see your original id (Passport and recent utility bill), although some Solicitors can do an online search to verify your id, and hence won't need sight of your original id. As regards your brother, if the Solicitor wishes to see his id, it would be normal for him to go and get his id verified by a Solicitor or from the British consulate in the US.


Cost is likely to be £200 plus VAT for you and a similar charge for your sister. Your sister will also have to pay a similar fee, plus a fee to register the Transfer at the Land Registry which will be between £50 and £100 depending on the value of the property.


Once you have instructed Solicitors, it should take 4-6 weeks to complete, depending on how quickly your Solicitors act and any idea in resolving your Brother's id.


Registered Deeds are stored electronically at the Land Registry, so your Solicitor will obtain copies to enable him to prepare the Transfer (cost is £6).


I hope this clarifies matters.


Kind Regards