How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34890
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I have awife & three children. What happens to my assets if

Customer Question

I have awife & three children. What happens to my assets if I die without making a will?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  James Mather replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I am Law Denning and I am a practising solicitor. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008. During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions from satisfied users on a variety of subjects.
Because we are all in practice with clients and court and other users, I might not always respond in minutes, particularly evenings and weekends. Please bear with me in that case. I will be online and off-line all day today.

It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today. Please bear with me while I gather some further information from you in order for me to be able to advise you fully.

Are any of your assets jointly owned?

Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
Assuming that all your assets are held in your sole name then your wife will get
1. All your personal belongings
2. The first £250,000 of your assets.
The rest of your estate is split into two equal parts.
Your wife will have a life interest in one part - which means that she receives the interest from it but it doe snot belong to her - and when she dies it will be divided between your children.
The other part is shared by your children straight away
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details