How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34886
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My Aunt is in a residential care home and gets confused/forgetful.

Customer Question

My Aunt is in a residential care home and gets confused/forgetful. I am meeting with dept for work and pensions and they suggest I should be an appointee but I thought I needed power of attourney. I am retiring on the 30th September and wondered if this will affect me, looking as though I have another income. Many thanks. Sue.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thanks you for your question
I shall do my best to help you
If your Aunt no longer has mental capacity then she cannot sign a Power of Attorney.
This means you would either have to take on the expense of applying to be appointed as her Deputy (
or you can take to option suggested by the DWP which will allow you to process her pension and benefits.
Your employment position is not relevant at all
I hope that this is of assistance
Please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Many thanks.
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
You are most welcome - I hope all goes well