How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 49862
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

My daughter is from the US was married in UK she has 2 little

Customer Question

My daughter is from the US was married in UK she has 2 little girls, she has recently discovered her husband is bisexual. We have started divorce procedures with an international lawyer in London. So far we have given them 2700 pounds, they have only sent one petition to the courts. The only time we hear from them is when they want us to put more money in the bank account. They also charge her for any questions asked. Is this normal service I feel like we are being raped financially.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 4 years ago.

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is Ben and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. I am just preparing my advice for you, won't be long

Ben Jones :

Solicitors practising in the UK have strict rules to adhere to when it comes to practising and dealing with clients. Whilst lawyers charge on a time basis (i.e. any time they spend on the client's account), there has to be transparency in relation to the fees that they would charge.

You can get an overview of the rules they have to follow when dealing with you here:

As you will see in relation to fees the rules require the lawyer to:

  • clearly explaining your fees and if and when they are likely to change;
  • warning about any other payments for which the client may be responsible;
  • providing the information in a clear and accessible form which is appropriate to the needs and circumstances of the client;
  • ensuring that disbursements included in your bill reflect the actual amount spent or to be spent on behalf of the client.

You have every right to question the fees they charge and ask for a detailed breakdown of how their time has been spent. If you are unhappy with the level of service or the fees charged you are able to challenge that directly with them, for example by escalating it with a more senior partner.

If you have a complaint about a bill for contentious work you can ask the court to check that for you.

If you have a complaint about a bill for non-contentious work which is linked to poor service and this complaint has not been resolved by the solicitor you can make a complaint to the Legal Ombudsman.

If at any point you believe that you do not wish to work with them any longer you are free to leave without providing any reasons, subject to resolving any outstanding payment with them.

Ben Jones :

Please let me know if this has answered your query or if you need me to clarify anything else for you in relation to this?

Ben Jones :

I hope this has answered your query and would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating - your question will not close and I can continue providing further advice if necessary. Thank you