How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask James Mather Your Own Question
James Mather
James Mather,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 22629
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Law Question Here...
James Mather is online now

How can I stop my Divorced husband from entering my new property.

Customer Question

How can I stop my Divorced husband from entering my new property. He has previously had a harassment warning for entering my previous home with out consent. He continues to deny me the privacy.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  James Mather replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I am Law Denning and I am a practising solicitor. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008. During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions from satisfied users on a variety of subjects.
Because we are all in practice with clients and court and other users, I might not always respond in minutes, particularly evenings and weekends. Please bear with me in that case. I will be online and off-line all day today.

It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today. Please bear with me while I gather some further information from you in order for me to be able to advise you fully.

Is the property in joint names?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The prperty is soley mine I have just bought it and it is all in my name he has nothing to do with this property. Our Divorce was in May 2012.

Expert:  James Mather replied 4 years ago.
I am just away from my computer but will come back to you as soon as possible.

Thank you for your patience, there is no need for you to reply.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I want to know what legal process I can put in place that will enforce that he does not under any circumstances enter my house.

Expert:  James Mather replied 4 years ago.

Thank you.

You have 2 options. Refer this back to the police and tell them that you now want him prosecuted under Protection From Harrassment act as he has already been warned

And/or, you can apply to court for non molestation/restraining order preventing him coming within say 100m of your house or you.

If you geta solicitor to do that and attach certificate of urgency to the application it could be in court with a couple of days

Of course you can change the locks and if he breaks in that is criminal damage which is a police matter also

Does that answer the question? I am happy to answer specific points.

Can I help further?

Please don't forget to positively rate my answer service (even if it was not what you wanted to hear).
If you don't rate it positively, then the site keep your deposit and I get 0 for my time. It is imperative that you give my answer a positive rating.
It doesn’t give me, “a pat on the head”, “good boy” (like ebay), it is my livelihood!
If in ratings you feel that you expected more or it only helped a little, please ask.

I am offline shortly until later and will pick this up then if needed.

Please bear with me each day and over weekends because I will be online and off-line each day.

Don’t worry if you get a message saying “Rate to Finish'. The thread does not close or finish after rating and we can continue this exchange if you wish