How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 32086
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Hi, My partner and I had a confrontation in February of this

Customer Question

Hi, My partner and I had a confrontation in February of this year, she started hitting me over something silly and I grabbed her wrist to stop her doing so, on releasing her wrist she bit my arm. Her daughter was there and saw what happened, her daughter phoned the police and we both got arrested. Neither of us pressed charges against each other. But now she's claiming that I assaulted her and that 6 of her teeth have been damaged (Her words are "I smashed her in the face!") which I didn't. Her daughter is siding with me on this. She saying I could get recharged for this. She's already getting the house on a 70/30 split (I just want out). She's now stating that for an extra 8K she will sign a letter to drop any charges. Is any of this is possible?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  James Mather replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I am Law Denning and I am a practising solicitor. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008. During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions from satisfied users on a variety of subjects.
Because we are all in practice with clients and court and other users, I might not always respond in minutes, particularly evenings and weekends. Please bear with me in that case. I will be online and off-line all day today.

It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today. Please bear with me while I gather some further information from you in order for me to be able to advise you fully.

Did you wife have these injuries when arrested?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

We both had injuries, my right arm and her teeth, we were both taken to hospital by the police prior to been taken to the police station.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your question . My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

I have been asked to look at this.

Can I just confirm that you are asking about the criminal matter here? The family matter is not my area.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes, can I be recharged on a matter that has had the charged dropped. If so what would be the criteria.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.
Were you formally NFAed at the police station?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

We were both released without charge. Neither of us pressed charges against each other. But my partner is now claiming I can be recharged if necessary, basically if agreed to give her 8K she will write a letter to drop the charges. I've contacted the police they say I can't be recharge unless a complaint is put in, It apparently a long process. Regards

Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.
Ok. We can look at that but do you know if you were NFAed or just not proceeded with?

Also, how long ago was the incident?

And do you have that threat from her in written form?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.
Are you Ok.

Can I help further?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I'm waiting for the investigating officer to get back to me regarding whether the matter was NFAed or not, I was advised to call the Crime Managemnt Unit, they in turn would e-mail the investigating officer to call me! a bit long winded I know, but I'm in limbo at the moment regarding this.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.
Ok. Do you need any answers now?