How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Nicola-mod Your Own Question
Nicola-mod, Moderator
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 21
Experience:  Moderator
Type Your Law Question Here...
Nicola-mod is online now

My Client who is English has lived and worked in the U.K. until

Customer Question

My Client who is English has lived and worked in the U.K. until her early 20's

She has a property in the u.k. she rents out through an agency.

for the last 3 years she has been working in Australia Namibia and is currently is working in New Zealand and will do for the forseeable future.

Should she be subject to the Non-Resident Landlord Scheme and have 20% tax deducted at source from the rental income.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 4 years ago.

AlexWatts2013 :

Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return.

AlexWatts2013 :

I assume she is a non UK tax payer at the moment because is working abroad?

JACUSTOMER-h2ckixq9- :


AlexWatts2013 : In that case your client would be liable for the non resident scheme and tax would be deducted from source.
AlexWatts2013 : This is because as a non uk resident she would be liable for this tax but when she returns to the uk and becomes a taxpayer this status would change,
AlexWatts2013 : Can I clarify anything about this for you today?
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 4 years ago.

Just a quick reminder, there is an unrated answer waiting for you here from the Professional.

If the Expert was helpful, rating their answer as satisfactory transfers your deposit to them – this is how the Expert is compensated.

To rate your answer, you can go to your question page, and click one of the five faces below your Expert's answer. Please be sure you are logged in with your username and password or you will not be able to view or rate your answer.

If you still need help with your question, please feel free to reply to the Expert on this question page. You may ask as many follow-up questions on the same question page as you need until you are satisfied.

Thank you,