How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Nicola-mod Your Own Question
Nicola-mod, Moderator
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 21
Experience:  Moderator
Type Your Law Question Here...
Nicola-mod is online now

I have the money but not received any paperwork from crown

Customer Question

I have the money but not received any paperwork from crown court to pay my fine. They say they have sent it but I honestly have not received anything from them. I have called them 3 times over the last week to try and get payment details. They say that theynfile tye fine details with a regional payment office and gave me the telephone number and some case number. I called the payment office and they have no records of any fines under my name or the numbers provided. Upon calling the crown court again they maintain they have sent the paperwork and then put the phone down on me. I called again today to ask if could visit then court in person to make payment, they said theyndo not take payments there though. Apparently I can pop round to the mags court and drop payment by cash into anerop box. However I do not have any fine paperwork to make payment against so can't do this. I explained this situation again and they put the phone down again. The fine is now over but nobody will take payment from me. I am not rude to them, I am very polite and spoken, they are polite as well but as soon as I point out that I have not had any fine paperwork they put the phone down.

I don't know what to do now. I do not want to be in breach of my terms, I just want to pay my fine.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your question . My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

Did you go to the collection office when you were at court?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

not on the day as did not have the money then

Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.
I know they are rude sometimes.

Which crown court is it?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

portsmouth, the telephone payment line is based in Poole.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.
You should have got information upon the date of sentence.

Have you tried your solicitors who might well have a copy?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

They have not forwarded any futher paperwork since the conclusion of the trial. I am not near them and spend my day in a secure computer room where phones do not work.


I am writiing all this via my blackberry on a train home.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.

Does the case number begin with T?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no, sorry.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.
Ok. Thanks. I will just dictate an answer for you.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.
It is fairly common that this happens basically because many people lose the papers. Usually a means of making contact is handed to you at court. However, I know that actually getting through to anybody is difficult and I know they are rude sometimes.

With fine payments though usually you just call up the admin centre and the Magistrates and they do a search upon your name and sentencing court. You don't normally even need the case number but if you do have one then that is great. I've never known a case where that has been a problem.

I think the case number that you have must be their admin number because its not a Crown Court T number.

If you still find this impossible though the other alternative is to attend at the Magistrates Court. If you can pay in full then that would deal with the matter there and then. Unless things have changed since I used to go to Portsmouth Crown Court its fairly close to the Magistrates anyway.

You can use the anerop box at the Magistrates and your case number would probably marry the amounts up but its not a good idea unless you are sure its the right one. If you are going to the court house anyway then this can be traced at the admin desk.

However, with the case number it is amazing that they are saying that they are not able to take payment over the phone or give you the number of the payment processing office.

If you are phoning the payment processing office then all you need is your name, sentencing court and rough date of sentence. They can trace you.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

as advised, payment office has no record under my name or case number. nobody has details in one office thaty allows payment at the same or any other location. I fear they will now come for me for non payment when have tried every avenue to pay yet cannot prove it.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.
You said above that there was a case number you had been given?

Also, what was the date of sentence?
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 4 years ago.

Just a quick reminder, there is an information request here from the Expert. This means they need to know more details before they will be able to give you a full answer.

Thank you,