How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35077
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My partner applied for legal aid in Northern Ireland 5 (where

Customer Question

My partner applied for legal aid in Northern Ireland 5 (where he is from)-6 years ago due to a medical negligence case which is still ongoing. We have been together 2 years and he has lived with me for 9 months. The house and morgatage are in my name as I had them prior to us meeting, the legal aid now want information about my personal circumstance and financial arrangements about the house even though he makes no financial contribution to them are they entitled to this they are classing it as a change of his circumstances?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question
My name is Claire and I will do my best to help you.
Unfortunately the fact that he is co-habiting does indeed amount to a Change in Circumstances and as such your assets and income will for part of the assessment.
Failure to complete the forms will lead to the suspension of his Certificate - and potentially to its eventual discharge
I am sorry to have to give such bad news - please ask if you need further details