How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Nicola-mod Your Own Question
Nicola-mod, Moderator
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 21
Experience:  Moderator
Type Your Law Question Here...
Nicola-mod is online now

Today I brought a mr Tom bar at my local sweet shop it

Customer Question

Today I brought a mr Tom nut bar at my local sweet shop it was in date but when I opened and took a bite I noticed it tasted stale.....when I looked in side the bar I notice maggots in it.....I feel sick .pls can you tell me my rights ,who I should inform and could I be compensated.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 4 years ago.

AlexWatts2013 :

Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return.

AlexWatts2013 :

Did you bite into it? Were you ill as a result please?

JACUSTOMER-1218app6- : Yes I did bite into it and have been sick
AlexWatts2013 :

Potentially the manufacturer is liable because obviously the shop owner did not know there was anything wrong with it. Therefore you could sue the manufacturer for loss and damage. But given that you have been sick (I assume no time off work) then your damages would be minimal I imagine no more than £100.

AlexWatts2013 :

But it would indeed be the Company that makes it that would be liable for any claim that you have. You would need to write and inform them enclosing the bar and then say you wish to make a claim.

AlexWatts2013 :

If they refuse to pay you would need to issue proceedings in the County Court which you can do online at: or by completing form N1 and taking it to your local County Court.

AlexWatts2013 :

Can I clarify anything for you at this stage? Alex

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 4 years ago.

Just a quick reminder, there is an unrated answer waiting for you here from the Professional.

If the Expert was helpful, rating their answer as satisfactory transfers your deposit to them – this is how the Expert is compensated.

To rate your answer, you can go to your question page, and click one of the five faces below your Expert's answer. Please be sure you are logged in with your username and password or you will not be able to view or rate your answer.

If you still need help with your question, please feel free to reply to the Expert on this question page. You may ask as many follow-up questions on the same question page as you need until you are satisfied.

Thank you,