How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34897
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Good afternoon, my 17 year old son has had behavioural problems

Customer Question

Good afternoon, my 17 year old son has had behavioural problems over the last 18 months that have escalated to intimidation and threats to myself (his mother) and his father.

we have already had intervention re family therapy vis social services but following a second case of criminal damage within the home he was charged and sent to the YOT and has been temporarily staying with a friend's family for a very short term basis. There is no other available accommodation.

Can I put a non molestation order / occupation order in place IF he has to return to the family home? Can it stipulate that he undertakes counselling or attend a GP for a psychiatric assessment before he returns and how would I have that evidence? Can I prevent him from going into specific parts of the house / from using the kitchen / bringing in friends / using knives?


Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question
My name is Claire and I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first
When will he turn 18 and why are you considering having him back?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ironically this occured on the eve of his 17th birthday so he will not be 18 until next September. However he is in his first year of a good sixth form and we were hoping that this would motivate him to focus on his education and remain in the home environment.


As a mother I would love him to come into the family home again, but not with his aggression and behaviour / defiance.


However I am also mindful that the escalation in his aggression towards me / my husband may reoccur without some form of intervention / assessment/ counselling/ meds (if necessary). But much of this would have to be with his consent so can not be guaranteed.


Also although on this occasion he said he wanted to end it all, his attempt at suicide was not seen as credible by the police and as such he was not assessed at the police station and he was not seen as "at risk" when referred to YOT and Social Services.


Speaking to Social Services today they suggested independent living however said it would be more persuasive to a Council Homeless centre by evidence of his attending at a GP for assessment and / or having counselling sessions.


In any respect as this would all take time and as there does not appear to be any opportunity for him to be placed in any sort of fostering arrangement, I feel that he will end up returning to the family home.


Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
You are aware that you do not have to agree to his return?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes but as a mother I have to accept responsibility for where he might end up and what dark alleys that may take him down as a consequence.


He binge drinks and dabbles with cannabis so given a long leash I don't dare to think.


At present he is staying at a friend's and this is only likely to last until Friday.

Social Ser vices have not offered anything else




Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Hi Kim
I do understand that you are in a dreadful position.
However there is no Injunction that can help you regulate his behaviour in the way that you wish.
You can certainly negotiate a written "contract" which he signs that covers all those things - but of course that assumes that if he breaks the agreement then you will force him to leave - which is the problem at the moment.
You can try pushing Social Services harder - and see if CAMHS (Children and Adolescent mental Health service) have been consulted or indeed can help
I have no idea if this service would help
But they may have some ideas
I hope that this is of some assistance but please ask if there are other aspects that you wish to consider