How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Senior Partner Your Own Question
Senior Partner
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 13329
Experience:  Solicitor with more than 30 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Senior Partner is online now

On my husbands death I found that the house had been left

This answer was rated:

On my husband's death I found that the house had been left in Trust, to go to his sister on my death. Can I move to a smaller property as this one is not suitable for me now as I am disabled.
Hi this depends upon the terms of the trust. If he left his estate generally on trust for you for life with remainder to his sister then yes. If he left the house on trust for you to live in fro your life and then the house passes to your sister in law then possibly not. However your sister in law can agree to the house being sold and some of the proceeds reinvested in another property. It ought to be possible for this to be arranged . If you can get your sister in law to agree then you can tell the trustee and that should resolve the issue.
Senior Partner and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My sister-in-law lives in Canada so the house will be sold on my death.


The Solicitor says the property I wish to buy should sell for the same amount as the one I am now living in on its sale when I die. He is talking about taking a chartered surveyor around the proposed property because he thinks the price is too high. It is an apartment specifically built for disabled people with easy access etc. I am 88 years old and obviously need help and already have my personal plan for care from social services.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

His sister lives in Canada so the house will be sold on my death. The property I hope to move to is a specifically built apartment in a complex for disabled people .


I have already been assessed by Social Services and have my personal care plan and funds sorted out.


The solicitor says the property I buy must sell at the same price as the one I now live in when I die. He thinks the apartment is overpriced but it is specifically what I need.




























































Well I can understand why you wish to move and if everyone is agreeable there should be no obstacles to it