How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34885
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Going through a divorce, our property has been valued by a

Customer Question

Going through a divorce, our property has been valued by a jointly- chosen valuer. The valuation is half of what I expected. Is there any way to challenge this valuation at the second hearing?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question
My name is Claire and I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
What other valuation have you had and why did this one come in so low?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
We agreed in court to one valuation on 3 joint properties. 2 are as expected but the one in question is half
What I anticipated. It is a barn conversion on a private estate and I think this valuation is suspect .... I need advice on how to challenge this at the second hearing. We also borrowed money on the property ( which is mortgage free) 2 years ago from the bank and I wonder if there is any way of submitting this valuation, although the bank will not release this info to me. I know off the record that this valuation was higher, though I cannot discuss this as its off the record.
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Have you had your own valuation of the property done?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No because we had to jointly agree to go with one valuation and abide by that.
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Sorry - I am trying to find out what the basis of you belief that it is under valued is
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It was valued at double this by the bank, though I know this off the record and cannot attribute it.
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Unless you have something concrete with which to challenge the valuation then I am afraid that you will not be able to challenge it at all.
This could be a Zoopla valuation or something similar - or you can get a "drive by" valuation done if you cannot get access to the property at all.
What you cannot rely on is a valuation done in the pat for a loan.
If you can find evidence that the valuation is adrift then you can ask the court for permission for a further valuation to be done.
However this will not be easy to achieve so you will need some substantial evidence in order to convince the court
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details