How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask James Mather Your Own Question
James Mather
James Mather,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 22629
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Law Question Here...
James Mather is online now

Can I get a solicitor to write a letter warning an individual

Customer Question

Can I get a solicitor to write a letter warning an individual not to slander me or cause upsetting remarks to my children via a public forum about their late mother?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  James Mather replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question here on Just answer. It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today. Please bear with me if I need to ask for any further information from you in order for me to be able to advise you fully. My name is Law Denning and I am a practising solicitor. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008. During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions from satisfied users on a variety of subjects.

Because we are all in practice with clients and court and other users, I might not always respond in minutes, particularly evenings and weekends. Please bear with me in that case. I will be online and off-line all day most weekdays and weekends.

Could you explain the background to your situation a bit more please?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My late wife died a couple of years ago after ac7 week illness at age 42 and her sister is visiting clairvoyants. The clairvoyant has told her that during her illness I was having an affair with my now girlfriend. She is telling people this. This is a ridiculous lie and I have proof that I met my girlfriend a long time after her death. Also she is now posting comments on Facebook about things her sister is saying about my children. I have written to her via a conventional letter and rather than reply she has verbally abused me via the same medium. I have not responded. I am wondering if a solicitors letter warning her to stop upsetting me and my children would be possible?

Thanks John.
Expert:  James Mather replied 4 years ago.

We can give you advice but we are
unable to write letters for you.

Do you actually want advice or are
you looking for someone to write the letter?


It is of course possible and any
solicitor will generally do such a letter threatening a court application for
an injunction and costs unless the accusations are withdrawn and unless they
cease and desist.

I can expand further about what
is liable on what is slander and the effects et cetera if you wish but as I
said, we are unable to write letters for you


I am off-line now until tomorrow but will pick this up then.