How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71031
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

my son paid a depoist for a wedding venue 9 months ago £500

Customer Question

my son paid a depoist for a wedding venue 9 months ago £500 he as now been told that the menu which was £13.50 per person will now be £22.50 they have agreed to do the menu for £18.50 as long as my son still pays £500 pound for the hire of the hall although the new price for the hall is £300 this is going to cost my son a further £750 surely they have to honour the agreement made when the depoist was paid hope you can help
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

Whats their explanation for this please?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

the venue changed ownership in december last year my son as only dealt with the new owners but they are saying that the brochure and details he was given were from the prices and details from the previous owners and they now say nine months after my son paid his depoist that they can not honour those prices

Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.

If they have taken over this companies' debts and liabilities then they have to honour the contract whether it is profitable for them or not.

They should honour the original price.

However, the fact remains that they refuse to do so. Ultimately he cannot go over there and beat them with a stick until they accept argument!

His options either to ask for a refund and go elsewhere or pay and sue for the difference at the small claims court. It would be cheap enough to issue against them and it might well lead to a resolution.

Can I clarify anything for you?