How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask James Mather Your Own Question
James Mather
James Mather,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 22629
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Law Question Here...
James Mather is online now

If a daughter and son in law are powers of attorney for their

Customer Question

If a daughter and son in law are powers of attorney for their mother with lewy body dementia, and both develop both physical and mental (depression) health issues of their own is it possible to change or add another family member to take off some of the pressure. one is also next of kin to her godmother of 90+ and has to deal with her finances as she has been unable to sell her flat which is now rented out, and owes fees that will be recouped when it is sold. the other is next of kin to his 90+ aunt in a nursing home, with physical health problems and dementia, and is possibly power of attorney and executor too.. they also have a 35 year old son with bipolar whose finances they sort out too. The in law has recently had a mental breakdown due to the stress and the daughter{my sister} is struggling with several chronic physical health problems. I am trying to find out if there is any way to take some of these pressures away from them as they are 64 and 66+ and both retired early on health grounds and need to recover enough to start to enjoy their retirement as I fear their 3 elderly responsibilities may outlive them.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  James Mather replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question here on Just answer. It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today. Please bear with me if I need to ask for any further information from you in order for me to be able to advise you fully. My name is Law Denning and I am a practising solicitor. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008. During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions from satisfied users on a variety of subjects.
Because we are all in practice with clients and court and other users, I might not always respond in minutes, particularly evenings and weekends. Please bear with me in that case. I will be online and off-line all day most weekdays and weekends.
Do you have a specific question?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am not quite sure what is happening now. I was already told my question had gone to another person and gave my credit card no. I arrowed back as I had forgotten to write down the ref no, my computer went off, and when I got back in it said I had to give my e mail address again and suddenly you appear as a different contact. Im very confused and am worried they will take more than one payment.

Expert:  James Mather replied 4 years ago.

Sometimes you will get a lot of emails but I have no control over

I just deal with questions. The site is hosted in San Francisco
and I am in Cheshire.

I will email admin shortly to make sure that they only take one
payment and that you have not signed up for a subscription.

The thread will close for a short while will then reopen.

Meanwhile, you have given me a lot of information would have not
actually asked a question. What would you like to know about this?

Do you mean can the attorneys resign and can someone else take

They can only do that by making another application to the Court
of Protection.

There is nothing to stop you giving them in formal assistance but
you would not be able to use the Power Attorney unless you are registered with
the court as an actual attorney.

Does that answer the question?

Expert:  James Mather replied 4 years ago.
This shows in my inbox as requiring further input from me. Can I assist further?
If not, there is no need to reply