How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34885
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My sons partner has two children by previous relationships.

Customer Question

My son's partner has two children by previous relationships. The eldest child, Megan, was visiting my son and his partner every other weekend and they were providing food and some clothing. However, the child was a very disruptive influence on the other two children (the youngest is my son's), and my son thought it best if his partner visited spent the day with Megan at Bournemouth on the weekends that a visit was due. They live in Sand Banks, Bournemouth (a very select and exclusive area). My son earns very little (minimum wage), and his partner does 2/3 nights a week bar work. The daughter's father and his partner are earning approx. £80,000 per annum. Yesterday my son's partner received a request for CSA payments which obviously she can't afford to pay, and as my son is covering all the household bills, neither can he. What recourse do they have? This is clearly a spiteful action, Megan's father is fully aware of my son's financial situation - indeed, on one of Megan's visits she said "this is a poor house, isn't it?"

Can you give us some guidance please. Marion.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I shall do my best to assist you.
I have bad news I am afraid - if the child lives with her father then he is entitled to Child Maintenance from the mother despite the difference in their incomes
However the claim should be low given the fact that she earns so little and they have a child together.
You can work out the correct assessment here
I am sorry to have to give you bad news - please ask if you need further details