How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71042
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I loaned a mobility scooter to my dyeing mother in law, but

Customer Question

I loaned a mobility scooter to my dyeing mother in law, but it has been sold by her husband since her deaf. How can l get it or funds back to replace it. Not getting any response from the husband.
From Trevor Whitlock.
[email protected]
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

How much was it worth please?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Jo

I originally paid £650 plus new batteries at £110 totalling £760, but l would estimate present value at £500


Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.

Is he saying it was a gift do you know?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No they both new it was only loaned and l was to get it back after my mother in law was finished with it. Since her (June) deaf her husband (barry) has fallen out with the family.





Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.

You have two options.

The first is the better option. You can just sue him for the value of the scooter here

You should really write to him giving him 28 days to pay and making clear that in default you will sue.

The second option is to seek an injunction order forcing him to hand it back. Its not a good idea. It will be extremely expensive and he doesn't have it now anyway from what you say.

The first option is much better. On the facts you mention, you will win.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.