How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

Hi, I was pulled over in my car last night and the police found

Customer Question

Hi, I was pulled over in my car last night and the police found about 4 grams of cannabis which was mine but I was not smoking only carrying. They wanted to interview by side of road which we did but now I really feel like I was pressured into not having legal advise at the time. I have been arrested for possession of cannabis once before about 8 years ago. The police say I will be summons to court but I feel they talked me out of legal advise what should I do?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  tdlawyer replied 4 years ago.

tdlawyer :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I can help you with this.

JACUSTOMER-vttqblz1- : What should I do?
tdlawyer :

The statement that you gave at the roadside can be used by the police as evidence of your position. I understand that you may feel a little pressured, but they will say they explained your rights to you and you agreed to mention the things that you did.

JACUSTOMER-vttqblz1- : What penalty am I likely to receive in court?
tdlawyer :

What explanation did you give for having the drugs?

tdlawyer :

And do you know what they're seeking to charge you for?

JACUSTOMER-vttqblz1- : I didn't really I just admitted they were mine!
JACUSTOMER-vttqblz1- : Possession of cannabis
tdlawyer :

And have you had any prior convictions?

JACUSTOMER-vttqblz1- : Not convictions. I've never been to court. I was arrested 8 years ago for possession of cannabis. My finger prints and DNA were taken but then released straight away. No court maybe just a £60 fine through the post I think!
tdlawyer :

The range of options open to a court for this type of offence are pretty wide. The starting point is usually a fine, with the option of looking at up to 26 weeks in prison. That's a starting point, although to be honest, I doubt a custodial sentence is likely. As you have a previous conviction before, there is more liklihood for some form of limited community sentence, although since it was so long ago, I expect a fine is still a good possibility here, albeit for a larger amount than before.

JACUSTOMER-vttqblz1- : When is the best time for me to get a solicitor to look at the case? Bearing in mind I have already given my statement?
JACUSTOMER-vttqblz1- : When is the best time for me to get a solicitor to look at the case for me? Considering I have already given a statement?
JACUSTOMER-vttqblz1- : When should I get a solicitor?
tdlawyer :

There is no reason that you should not get somebody to help you with this sooner rather than later, although you could have a solicitor represent you at the magistrates court on the day only, which you can do under the public funding schemes.

JACUSTOMER-vttqblz1- : When should I get a lawyer?
JACUSTOMER-vttqblz1- : When should I get a solicitor?
tdlawyer :

You should see one straight away.

JACUSTOMER-vttqblz1- : Is there anything I can do to help my case? For instance, I've been smoking the stuff on and off for more than 10 years but the thought of smoking it again after this is stupid. I really want to stop, can I enter a voluntary help program or anything?
tdlawyer :

There is help out there. There are various rehab centres that can assist, and a potentially decent starting point for you would be your local GP, who can refer you to the right places in your locality. is an organisation you might want to take a look at.

tdlawyer :

Does this answer your question today?

tdlawyer :

There are many other alternative to getting help, you might have heard of "Talk to Frank"/. Another good option:

tdlawyer :

You have rated the service as poor - can I ask why please?

tdlawyer :

If you need more information, then I can provide it for you?

tdlawyer :

If you were to enlist the help of one of these services, I firmly believe that it would help your case.

Expert:  Ash replied 4 years ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return.

I see the expert has opted out, do you still need help and if so what is your question please?