How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask James Mather Your Own Question
James Mather
James Mather,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 22629
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Law Question Here...
James Mather is online now

good morning i have bought a ring from ebay it is less than

Customer Question

good morning i have bought a ring from ebay it is less than a year old and it has lost a stone i have asked the seller for a replacement or a full refund but they have only offered to send me a replacement stone which i have to pay shipping and also pay for it to be set or i can have 60% of the cost as a refund i do not think this is fair what are my rights? thank you
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  James Mather replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question here on Just answer. It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today. Please bear with me if I need to ask for any further information from you in order for me to be able to advise you fully. My name is Law Denning and I am a practising solicitor. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008. During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions from satisfied users on a variety of subjects.
Because we are all in practice with clients and court and other users, I might not always respond in minutes, particularly evenings and weekends. Please bear with me in that case. I will be online and off-line all day most weekdays and weekends.

How much did you pay for the ring?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.


Customer: replied 4 years ago.


Expert:  James Mather replied 4 years ago.

After almost 12 months you are not entitled to a refund.

Unless the fixing is defective then they don’t have to repair it either. Assuming it is defective they are under duty to repair it.

However the practicality and legality are different if they simply refuse to do so. Then you are faced with getting it repaired yourself and sueing them for that cost in small claims court.

You can easily issue small claims court proceedings here

However be aware that if the seller is not a large company the proceedings will usually be transferred to their local court which might not be convenient for you