How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 32086
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Hello, My daughter, a student at Falmouth University, agreed

Customer Question


My daughter, a student at Falmouth University, agreed to take on a flat over the summer, with four other students. Her share is £450 per month, which I have been paying for since July plus an additional £450 as a deposit, so in all £1800 in total. she moved in this weekend Sept 21) and to all our dismay the flat was mouldy and damp. one of her flat mates is in the process of moving out because the dampness has brought on two very serious asthmatic attacks. very worrying because my daughter suffers from asthma as well. I have told her to find another flat straight away. Please note that she has not signed a tenancy agreement with the landlord, who has also antagonised the owners of the upstairs flat as well as she has repeatedly failed to carry out repairs and has infected their flat above with dampness. I would like all my money back - clearly the flat is not in a fit state. there is also a conflict of interest. my daughter was directed to this flat by the university student accommodation office and is owned by one of their university lecturers. What should my first steps be?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  James Mather replied 4 years ago.
Is the owner refusing to refund?
Has she taken this up with Student Services or Env Health Dept at the Council?
How long has she stayed in the flat for?