How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask James Mather Your Own Question
James Mather
James Mather,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 22629
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Law Question Here...
James Mather is online now

I was awarded compensation for a actcident at work which left

Customer Question

I was awarded compensation for a actcident at work which left me disabled I have since divorced my wife I was awarded 156000 pounds forty two months after my acctcident my wife had left me three months before I spent two months in hospital wh en I came out my wife returned home but she said she no longer wanted to be my wife just my carer this money awarded to me for my future care should it be included in a finacial setllement
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  James Mather replied 4 years ago.
what the settlement has there been?
what is the value of the house?
other assets?
Etc thank you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no mortgage no assets private pension 88 pounds a month state pension and dla no savings

Expert:  James Mather replied 4 years ago.

The is a widely reported case where a wife got half of her
husband's assets all of which was injury compensation, when they divorced.
However she did meet him when he was disabled when he already have the money. The
decision was widely criticised. And here is a link from barristers chambers

The general view on this is that your compensation is to
compensate you for pain and injury and suffering which is obviously not been
suffered by your wife and that your wife is only entitled to anything if she is
not adequately compensated for within the rest of the marriage.

If you have no house and no savings she would virtually walk away
with nothing and therefore she has a potential claim on your compensation

I will say that I don't agree with the decision, I think this
money should be ring fenced, but I don't make the law I just regurgitate it.

Does that answer the question? Can I assist
further or answer any specific queries?

If you have not done already, please don't forget to positively
rate my answer service even if it was not what you wanted to hear. You should
now see a series of buttons which enable you to rate my answer service

If you don't rate it positively, then the site keep your deposit and I get 0
for my time. It is imperative that you give my answer a positive rating.

It doesn't give me, "a pat on the head", "good boy" (like ebay), it is my

If in ratings you feel that you expected more or it only helped a little,
please ask.

The thread does remain open for me to answer follow-up questions
after rating my answer service.

Rating doesn't close the enquiry at
all even though the site may give that impression. It remains open for you to
read and ask for further clarification.


PS Experts on here are online and off-line all day each day and
weekends so please bear with me if I do not get back to you immediately.

PS. I use voice type, voice recognition typing because I only
type with two fingers and it would take me ages. Sometimes, a computer does not
hear me correctly and you will get an incoherent word. I do try to but
sometimes they slip through. I apologise therefore if anything doesn't make sense.
It is me losing it, not you. Just ask if anything is not clear please.