How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I am being pursued for a debt from a property I left 4 years

Customer Question

I am being pursued for a debt from a property I left 4 years ago. Although the account was held in the joint names of my wife and myself, my wife changed the account into sole name in June 2012. I feel it is an unfair practice to pursue a person for a debt purely on the premise that my name appeared on the bill heading and I have not lived in the property concerned for 4 years. Do I have any legal rights as regards XXXXX XXXXX?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 4 years ago.


Alex Watts : Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return.
JACUSTOMER-ijvsx3d2- :

Er excuse me but your

JACUSTOMER-ijvsx3d2- :

Er excuse me but I was told a barister was on line to answer my questions, you have taken my money and I really would apprciate a reply now; or are you practising misleading advertising?

Alex Watts : Yes I am here to help you
Alex Watts : It looks like my question did not show so I will ask it again
Alex Watts : Are you being pursued for a debt after June 2012 please?
JACUSTOMER-ijvsx3d2- :

No, I first received notification from a debt company in Jan. 2013

JACUSTOMER-ijvsx3d2- :

I meant yes

Alex Watts : Just so that I am clear you are being pursued for a debt in your wife's name after June 2012?
JACUSTOMER-ijvsx3d2- :

No they are claiming the bill remained in joiint names until June 2012

Alex Watts : I see. Do you have evidence of when you left etc?
Alex Watts : Such as electors roll, own utility accounts, credit card statements etc?
Alex Watts : Did you ever tell the company that you left?
JACUSTOMER-ijvsx3d2- :

My next door neighbour has sent a written catagorical confirmation letter that I have lived at my parent's home since I separated from my wife in October 2009. Unfortunately ss my wife agreed she would be res;onsible for the bills, I took her at her word and did not consider to notify the company. It was only when my wife got into financial difficulties that this problem arose. My parents pay the househokd expenses as the legal owners of the property. i.e. council tax, gas elec, water etc. I did not register on the electoral roll until 2011 - it was low on my priority list.

JACUSTOMER-ijvsx3d2- :

They would not accept the bank statements I provided on the grounds that they only proved that the bank sent correspondence to my parent's address

Alex Watts : Yes this is unfair and you are not liable. Ideally you should have informed the company that you had left. However if you were not living there then you are not and can not be liable.
JACUSTOMER-ijvsx3d2- :

On what grounds?

Alex Watts : If the matter ever went to court they would have to prove you lived there. As you have evidence that you do not then their claim would fail.
Alex Watts : ideally you should have registered on the roll earlier.
Alex Watts : On the basis that you had left and you can not be liable for the bills after you left. Your wife could have informed them you h left and by not doing so it could be potentially a misrepresentation on her part.
JACUSTOMER-ijvsx3d2- :

Please can you confirm all this and anything else to my email address I have given.

JACUSTOMER-ijvsx3d2- :

Would the letter from the next door neighbour hold any clout?

JACUSTOMER-ijvsx3d2- :

Please reply to above queries

Alex Watts : You need to contact customer services about a copy of our chat or copy and paste it to word. The letter from next door certainly helps but ideally there must be some evidence such as bank statements etc to show you moved?
JACUSTOMER-ijvsx3d2- :

My rating is fine to the point Alex deciding not to reply to the 2 important queries I asked her.

Alex Watts : What 2 issues remain for you please and I will address them
JACUSTOMER-ijvsx3d2- :

Apologies I've read the replies - thanks you

Alex Watts : Does this answer all your questions now?
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about your question today? If not, can I invite you to rate my service which I hope has been excellent.If you need more help then please click reply. Thanks - Alex
Alex Watts : Please remember the chat bugs are not my fault so I ask you not to consider that when rating. Have a good weekend if you need anything else, please let me know.
JACUSTOMER-ijvsx3d2- :


Alex Watts :

Yes this you need to contact customer services, I am an expert and can only see it from my end. It shows that you have paid a one off fee. But you need to contact customer services - or I can refer it for you? But I can only do that once you give a positive rating as it will lock the post?

JACUSTOMER-ijvsx3d2- :

Thank you I should appreciate you refer this to your customer services. I was happy with the service I received. I shall check my bank account on line tomorrow and come back to you when I have established what has been debitedf from my account. Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Alex Watts :

Ok. But if you rate my service using one of the buttons (happy faces) then I can refer this to (our) customer services to look into this for you. Thanks. Alex