How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask James Mather Your Own Question
James Mather
James Mather,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 22629
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Law Question Here...
James Mather is online now

my brother had dumped his car on my mothers property about

Customer Question

my brother had dumped his car on my mothers property about 2 years ago,she has no paperwork,log book etc,despite repeated attempts to tell him to come and retrieve it,what are her legal rights to get rid of it?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  James Mather replied 4 years ago.
Forgive me for asking a dumb question but does she know where he lives? Is the car worth anything?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no,hes moved,car is worth about,800 pounds,t reg ford focus,its been static for over 2 years,bit of an eyesore

Expert:  James Mather replied 4 years ago.

Thank you.

So you do not have a current address. You can write to his
last known address and I would do that but I would also write to the DVLA with
form 888

watch the fee I seem to remember is 2 pounds and explain
exactly why you want the registered keepers details and they will let you have
his details. I do expect they will be the same as his last address but then, if
he comes back and says that you should have got hold of him, and he decides to
take you to the Small Claims Court, you can produce the letter sent to his last
known address and you can produce the response from the DVLA which shows that
you had done all that was reasonable to find out where he lives before taking
any action.

So, once you have his address (whatever that address is) from DVLA, right to him at that address
and tell him that he has until Friday, 11 October 2013, to remove the car
failing which it will be removed for scrap and if there are any proceeds from the
sale, they will be donated to charity.

If he has not collected it by 11 October, the following
week, tell the police what you are doing and make a note of the date and who
you speak to. They will not be the least bit interested but you need it on the
record that you did that.

Then ring the scrap man and asking to come and take it. He
may ask for details of you ringing the police and the letters that you have
written to the owner and if so, let him have them.

Does that answer the question? Can I assist further?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ill try that,thank you

Expert:  James Mather replied 4 years ago.

No problem.

In all honesty, if you don't know where he lives, there is
absolutely nothing else that you can do.

If you wanted to, you can actually tow the car out onto the
main road and leave it there and he will end up with a whole load parking
tickets, and a fine for not being insured or MOT to and not having it taxed and
the local Council will tow it away, and whilst that might seem an extremely
attractive proposition, you do risk being prosecuted for dumping bizarre though
it may seem.

If you have not done already, please do not forget to
positively rate my answer service otherwise I get no credit for my time today.
The thread does remain open, even though the site may give you the impression
that it closes. It does not and we can continue this exchange if you wish