How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I have already submitted this but it seems to have got lost.....

Customer Question

I have already submitted this but it seems to have got lost..... can I sue the Home Office for personal damage or maladministration?
I have been the victim of serious crimes by an illegal entrant with a violent criminal background and nearly lost my life. He came after me with weapons and set my house on fire. The Police had told me to contact the UKBA so I reported him and told them all I knew about his background. I stressed that he posed a very real threat to the family. I sent 1 email and 2 letters (both signed for an by recorded delivery). The UKBA did not contact me nor did they detain or interview him and he conducted an escalating campaign of harassment against my family and then went on to commit the crimes outlined above. He was given a life sentence. I then filed a complaint against the Home Office with the Parliamentary Ombudsman (PHSO). The investigation is extremely slow (we think the UKBA are deliberately prevaricating and are extremely dissatisfied with the methods the PHSO use (emphasis on collecting procedures, protocols etc without checking whether they are actually implemented). We have always thought we had a prima facie case as we had kept all the evidence. Now we are worried about timescales if we decide to go for litigation. Our information and pleas for help went into the UKBA in October 2010. We do no know if we can do anything till the PHSO finishes 'investigating' but this could take many months. Also if there is any redress we have found out that the average payment is £2500. Apart from emotional trauma the repairs, protective custody, counselling etc came to £13,5000 so we would at the very least want to cover that outlay. Any advice you can give us would be very much appreciated
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 4 years ago.

Alex Watts : Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return.
Alex Watts : Are you saying the UKBA are responsible for this persons actions because they let him in the country?
JACUSTOMER-bgronr60- :

We are saying 2 things 1) He should never have been given a visa without more checks being made on him (we are out of line with most other countries which insist on satisfactory criminal record checks before giving visa. M

JACUSTOMER-bgronr60- :

More importantly though we asked the UKBA to investigate him as he was dangerous and posed a threat to us all. We gave them all the information we had found out about him including the fact that he had also been refused entry into America,

Alex Watts : You have given bad service and I have not yet given you an answer.
Alex Watts : How is it though are you saying the UKBA are responsible for someone else's actions?
Alex Watts : Did you not seek compensation from the criminal injuries compensation board?