How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 32086
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Hi there, we are renting a flat from a private landlord.

Customer Question

Hi there,

we are renting a flat from a private landlord. For economic reason,
we would like to know if we can change the actual electric meter, initially installed by the landlord.
We know EDF can do it free of charge easily.
At present we have to buy cards from our landlord to insert in our meter. we have no official bill.
Our landlord buys the cards from an unknowned (to us tenant) supplier and then resales them to us as we need them. We have no choice but to buy his cards in advance or to go to his house to get them, which is not practical at all.
We have to buy them at £5 a card with no indication of how much KWatts we get for that price.
Last winter we still had a Pound meter, which took at least £240 a month in the cold months. that was terribly expensive.
We have been renting this flat for almost 18 years, and have always been good tenants, now we are looking for a better deal from a different supplier, because it is not cocevable to pay that price for energy supply.
The landlord can be extremly difficult and before we approach him with this project, we would greatly appreciate your advice on this matter.
In clear the question is: "Are we allowed to change the actual meter for a private one with a bill from a different supplier without needing the landlord consent?"

We are looking forward to your answer.

Yours sincerely.
Christine hopper.
We have already make some reasearches and finfd out that as private tenant we can change the meter as long as we put it back before leaving the flat when moving out.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  James Mather replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your question here on Just answer. It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today. Please bear with me if I need to ask for any further information from you in order for me to be able to advise you fully. My name is Law Denning and I am a practising solicitor. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008. During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions from satisfied users on a variety of subjects.
Because we are all in practice with clients and court and other users, I might not always respond in minutes, particularly evenings and weekends. Please bear with me in that case. I will be online and off-line all day most weekdays and weekends.
Would you replace it after leaving?
Expert:  dianne-cssm replied 4 years ago.
We received your customer service inquiry, however, we are unable to respond to you because we do not have your email address. Please contact customer support at [email protected] uk and provide us with your email address and a link to this question page so that we can help you. ( Thank you, The JustAnswer Customer Support Team.