How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 32086
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

In am 75 years old, married (wife 65), lives with my wife in

Customer Question

In am 75 years old, married (wife 65), lives with my wife in same flat for 15 years. Now at a rent of £1200/month excluding all the outgoings and each year with an rent increase according to index each January, next in a couple of months. On top I have to pay all the other outgoings. I have been working all my life untill 2001 - paid my taxes - then on Pension credit and Housing Benefit as I have no private Pension nor income. I am receiving £489.24/per 14 days from housing without any increase for so many years. I have been writing to them about the problem many times, but without reply, and with the continuation of the same housing benefit payment for many years. Would you be kind and direct me to, what to do - to resolve this problem and what my rights are. Thank you. P. XXXXX

Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  James Mather replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your question here on Just answer. It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today. Please bear with me if I need to ask for any further information from you in order for me to be able to advise you fully. My name isXXXXX and I am a practising solicitor. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008. During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions from satisfied users on a variety of subjects.
Because we are all in practice with clients and court and other users, I might not always respond in minutes, particularly evenings and weekends. Please bear with me in that case. I will be online and off-line all day most weekdays and weekends.
You mean about the rent increases? 
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Was promissed an answer I think it says in minutes?

When do I expect a solution

Expert:  James Mather replied 4 years ago.

I am sorry, but this is not an instant service because we
are all solicitors in practice. We do not sit online 24/7. We all have clients
and court and other users on this site and travelling and weekends and evenings
etc. We are often on and offline all day every day. Sometimes therefore you
will get an answer in minutes and sometimes it is hours. The site does give the
impression that experts will answer in nanoseconds unfortunately, the site is
hosted in San Francisco and we are all based in the UK and we have no control
over site content.


Are you asking if housing benefit can be increased?

On what basis?