How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 32363
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

My husband and I divorced five years ago. I raised funds and

Customer Question

My husband and I divorced five years ago. I raised funds and paid 45 % of assets amounting to a cash sum of 237,000 to my x as I ran the business in which he was technically employed but in reality he stayed at home. I did not ask for maintanence because he had to make a new start but expected him to contribute towards their up keep once he was in a financial position to do so but this was not put into the consent order. It was also requested that he shared the care of our youngest daughter to enable me to continue to work long hours to provide for them. Despite earning 100,000 a year after tax, paying the mortgage, supporting the two older children through uni I do not have a lot left at the end of the month. A business tax investigation also caused more financial hardship as it was back dated. I have not had holidays etc for some years and continue to work long hours. I manage but I was wondering if I had any right to now expect my x to help with the finacial support of the children. He came into a substantial inheritance and is now a successful landlord with several properties and a good income which enables him to have a good lifestyle with lots of holidays etc. He also did not follow through with the care arrangements and now my youngest daughter is 14 she hardly sees him. He has moved in with another lady who has her own property business. She has three children and my x has disassociated himself from any responsibility regarding his own children. My eldest daughter is trying to buy a flat but is struggling to raise a deposit. I have debts of just under a million. Is there anything I can do to claim some funds back for the children. He has managed to fiddle tax a couple of years ago so the CSA was unable to intervene.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare and I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How old are the children?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My eldest daughter is now 22 an has just qualified as a nurse. I have just finished supporting her through her degree. My son is 20 and I am supporting him through university and my youngest daughter is now 14.
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
When was the last CSA assessment?
Did he own the houses at that time?