How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34886
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My son pays £300 a month child support for his 2 year old son,

Customer Question

My son pays £300 a month child support for his 2 year old son, his ex-partner wants extra money to pay for nursery. My son has told her that he is not going to pay her any extra money. She has now said he can only see his son every other weekend and that he is not to try and contact her in any way. He has been seeing him one or two nights during the week and every other weekend for the past year.

He doesn't seem to have any rights even though his name is XXXXX XXXXX birth certificate. Should he pay more money? What routes are available to him to challenge her actions?

He feels he has no one to turn to without making a bad situation even worse.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare and I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How much does your son bring home after tax each month?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

£1,800 - but he has been having his son wed and thurs nights one week and wed, fri and sat night the next. Plus holidays. By reducing the number of nights he has his son, she can increase the amount he needs to pay. He would have him at much as possible if she would let him but she uses the child to get more money.

Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
He is in fact already paying more than the CSA assessment would be even if he did not have the child overnight at all
The issue of how a child's time is shared between the parents is one to be agreed by BOTH parents - not just dictated by one!
Your son should try and discuss matters with his ex using Family mediation ( but if that is not successful then he may need to consider a court application for Defined contact -including the mid week contact again.
he can find out more here
and here
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details