How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71042
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

is there an insurance to cover provisional license, since my

Customer Question

is there an insurance to cover provisional license, since my car was impounded and obviously if there is no insurance, i cannot collect it..need some advice..
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

I am sorry but I can't give you any good news.

You can obviously be insured as an added driver on a provisional as long as you have the proper level of supervision.

However, that doesn't help here because you need to remove it from an impound. In a nutshell, the police will only release this vehicle to a person who can lawfully drive it away and keep it in a lawful way. It used to be possible to keep vehicles on private land uninsured by the continuous insurance requirements are in force now and you have to be fully insured even on a private road.

I'm afraid that if you do not have a licence then you cannot get insurance to cover you per se.

What you can do is get another person insured and get them to collect it as long as they have confirmation from you that is acceptable. That will at lease reduce the impound fees. Unfortunately they will need to be insured for a full period rather than a short term because that would offend against continuous insurance.

There are some temporary car insurance insurers. You will find one here

But my experience has been that the police won't release to a temporary insured person.

There is such a thing as pay as you go insurance available here

which can often succeed.

I'm sorry this isn't the answer you wanted but it is the position that you face and I have a duty to inform you truthfully.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thank you, you mean we need to insure the requested driver to have like 6 mos insurance or more?

how about our vehicle, do i need a separate insurance for that as well? on top of the requested driver with insurance?

Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.
Usually yes.

Some constabularies will accept pay as you go insurance.

If your vehicle is the one in the police pound then no. You just need to show the person who is to drive it away is lawfully allowed to drive and keep the car on the road.

You will also need proof of ownership.