How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 32177
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Hi you replied to my question last night about a family home

Customer Question

Hi you replied to my question last night about a family home which I'm locked out of with 3 young children. However you never mentioned if my ex & his live in girlfriend can claim a greater share of the house/equity when they are forced to sell as I have not been contributing to the bills for almost 2 yrs. please advise
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare and I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?
What other assets and debts are there and what income do you each have?
Were you married to each other?
Do you wish to move back there with the children - if not how are you and they now housed?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi the house is worth £600-650K with an outstanding mortgage of £402K. We run a partnership together from the family home so he has forbidden me from entering my home and place of work. His income from the partnership will be in the region of £80K pa whereas I am now living of benefits and in rented housing with the children aged 9/10/11. We were married for 15 yrs. I do not wish to move back into the house but need my share to start a new life with the chldren.


Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
What is the nature of the business?
How much does a three bedroom property in the same general area cost?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The business is financial advice and is worth approx £250k plus growth for pension. A 4 bedroom house is worth about £200k. All children have had their own rooms since birth
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
I understand your position with regard to the children but sadly the court will work on a different basis - so how much would a three bedroom property cost?