How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34910
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Hi Can you help. I have been with my partner for 15 years,

Customer Question


Can you help. I have been with my partner for 15 years, lived together for 14 years of those years we rented a house for 8 years and bought a 3 bed house for 6 years. He owns 60% and i have 40% share in it. Unfortunately the relationship has broken down and I have moved out to a rented accommodation for 6/12 months. He has taken over all payments of the property. Am i still entitled to my 40% share, if he wants to continue with this arrangement, how much would you say that i could in theory ask for if he wanted to pay me out of the mortage and get removed from the deeds.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  James Mather replied 4 years ago.

Hello, I am Law Denning and I am a practising solicitor in a High Street practice. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008. During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions from satisfied users, I might not always respond in minutes. Please bear with me in that case.

It is with pleasure to try to assist you with this today. Please bear with me while I gather some further information from you in order for me to be able to advise you fully.

Are you named on the mortgage?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes i am named on the mortage


Expert:  James Mather replied 4 years ago.

You are not liable for the mortgage or the bills
or a contribution to them, the house that you do not living although you remain
liable to the lender if he stops paying.

Notwithstanding the above, you are still entitled
to your 40% share is that is preserved in the trust deed or land registry deed
when it was laid out unless it says something else with regard to your
individual contributions

Does that answer the question? Can I assist
further or answer any specific queries?

If you have not done already, please don't forget to positively
rate my answer service even if it was not what you wanted to hear. You should
now see a series of buttons which enable you to rate my answer service

If you don't rate it positively, then the site keep your deposit and I get 0
for my time. It is imperative that you give my answer a positive rating.

It doesn't give me, "a pat on the head", "good boy" (like ebay), it is my

If in ratings you feel that you expected more or it only helped a little,
please ask.

The thread does remain open for me to answer follow-up questions
after rating my answer service.

Rating doesn't close the enquiry at
all even though the site may give that impression. It remains open for you to
read and ask for further clarification.


PS Experts on here are online and off-line all day each day and
weekends so please bear with me if I do not get back to you immediately.

PS. I use voice type, voice recognition typing because I only
type with two fingers and it would take me ages. Sometimes, a computer does not
hear me correctly and you will get an incoherent word. I do try to but
sometimes they slip through. I apologise therefore if anything doesn't make
sense. It is me losing it, not you. Just ask if anything is not clear please.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thanks, but i did ask how much would i be entitled to or ask for if he wants to remain in the property. The house was bought for £221,000 6 years ago and a lot has been, i would value the house at around £230,000 now.!!



Expert:  James Mather replied 4 years ago.

I think I might be missing something here.

You are entitled to 40% of the equity.

There may be an argument over the value of the
house because you will want it valued higher and he will want it valued lower. It
would be reasonable therefore to take the average of three agents valuations.

Based upon your figures, there is only £9000 of
equity and you would therefore be entitled to £4500 less 50% of any solicitor's
costs in respect of the legal costs of removing him.


You are not entitled to anything in respect of his occupation

Does that answer ?

Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?