How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Your Own Question
Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3840
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
Type Your Law Question Here...
Alex J. is online now

i am in the Philippines ,I have a property in UK that I may

Customer Question

i am in the Philippines ,I have a property in UK that I may need to sell can I appoint a power of attorney without having to go back to UK
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Alex J. replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is AJ and I will assist you today.

You can certainly do this. The best person to ask will be your solicitor. You only need to sign the attorney document in front of a witness.

You will solicitor will be able to sign the sale contract for you, but the actual transfer of the contract must be done by deed. Your solicitor will only be able to sign this for your with a Power of Attorney. The Power of Attorney should just be limited to signing deeds on your behalf.

Can I be of any further assistance?

Kind regards

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I don't have a solicitor here in the Philippines so are you saying I have to contact a solicitor in UK ,you didn't make that very clear .

Expert:  Alex J. replied 4 years ago.

Thank you.

You will need a solicitor to act for you in the UK when selling the property. You do not necessarily need a solicitor in the Philippines as well.

As long as you can get someone independent in the Phillipines to witness the power of attorney, you can appoint a solicitor in the UK as your attorney to sell the property on your behalf. That solicitor will probably even be able to draft the power of attorney document for you.

If you contact they will be able to recommend a solicitor in the UK.

I look forward to hearing form you.

Kind regards