How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Your Own Question
Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3840
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
Type Your Law Question Here...
Alex J. is online now

Hello, last June I hired a car in Germany - I used

Customer Question

Hello, last June I hired a car in Germany - I used to make the booking. They provide a voucher that covers everything (e.g. hire, unlimited mileage, insurance). When I picked up the car from Sixt GmbH in Berlin - as is usual they took a swipe of my AmEx credit card. All proceeded well but then I got billed for a few hundred pounds via Sixt. I contacted Sixt and got no where, so I forwarded to AmEx to dispute the charge. AmEx did not receive a reply from Sixt and so they refunded my card. I've now received a letter from a Debt Recovery company (CCI Legal Services Ltd) acting on behalf of Sixt to recover £406.68 by tomorrow (letter received yesterday). Obviously I do not want a debt collection agency turning up on my door step. Any advice on what I should do? If I pay the £406.68 to ensure the debt collection agency do not turn up at my house, is it likely that I could get my money back? Kind regards, Nicholas
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Alex J. replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is Alex J and I will assist you.

I would write to CCI Legal Services Limited in the following terms:
1. Deny that this money is owing and send them details of your payment for the vehicle through carhire 3000;
2. Say you do not negotiate and respond to threats of payment without proper evidence that payment is owing;
3. Tell them that if they do not provide proper proof as to why this money owed you will not consider the matter further;
4. Say that if they continue to chase you without proper evidence, you will assume that this matter is at worst fraudulent and at best harassment and you will report them to:
(i) Trading Standards;
(ii) the police for unlawful harassment under s.40 of the Administration of Justice Act 1970.

If they want to take this to court they will have to provide proper evidence of the debt. If they do provide evidence of the debt, to stop the matter going to court you can pay the money but say it is paid under protest and you will seek to recover it from the County Court or via trading standards.

I look forward to hearing form you.

Kind regards